What should I do, if I observe certain users of a related site continuously misrepresenting and attacking our community on their own place? At times, the attacks go even farther than "conventional badmouthing" and include (unfounded) accusations of criminal intentions. By "accusations of criminal intentions" I mean for example claims, that we are a platform for illegally exchanging copyright protected material and similar things.
More detailled description of the situation
- The users on the other site who attack our community have never been members of our site
- Among the attackers are even moderators of the other site
- There is a certain thematic overlap of the two sites: The site who attacks us is about playing with red, blue, and green balls (for all colors site), whereas our community is focused on playing with blue balls only (blueball site).
- We have founded a separate site for blueball players, as blueball players have difficulties in extracting their blue balls at the for-all-colors site (they are a minority there), which is dominated and governed by red and green ball players these days.
- Blueball players like more sophisticated games, that are uninteresting and boring for non-blueball players
I insinctively followed the advice given in this related discussion How can a community protect itself from a single user intent on misrepresenting the community? (a community member goes ranting elswere about his home site) as far as it is applicable to the partly different situation: I avoided getting into heated discussions on the for-all-colors site and just dispassionately debunked the grossest misrepresentations.
Compared to the situation in the earlier discussion, it seems more urgent to do something about the attacks in this case as there are blueball players on the for-all-colors site who would potentially be happy join the blueball site. At the same time it seems very difficult to do anything at all, as established users and even moderators of the for-all-color site are involved in the attacks of the blueball site.
So what can best be done in this situation?
In particular what should we do about the very harmful and potentially dangerous accusations of criminal intentions?